- Public Works
- Project Updates
- Measure O - Civic Center Improvements
Measure O - Civic Center Improvements
(Updated March 27, 2023)
- Campbell Civic Center, Campbell, CA 95008
- 70 North First Street, Campbell, CA 95008
- 77 Harrison Avenue, Campbell, CA 95008
Since 2013, City staff, consultants and a Project Core Team have identified desired facilities and program scenarios in the Civic Center Complex and conducted building structural assessments. The program and space needs for the Police Department and Campbell Library were identified as the highest priorities for the City through the Civic Center Master Plan efforts. A $50,000,000 general obligation bond measure (Measure O) was placed on the November 6, 2018 general elections ballot to fund a new police emergency operations center and improve the library. Measure O was approved by the voters by 69.5%.
Citizens' Bond Oversight Committee
The primary duties of the Oversight Committee are to review expenditure reports produced by the City to verify that bond proceeds were expended only for the purposes set forth in Measure O.
On November 6, 2018, City of Campbell voters approved Measure O with a ‘Yes’ vote of 69.5% by the citizens that voted in the General Election. Bonds issued pursuant to Measure O will generate approximately $50 million to construct and/or renovate City facilities to house Police and Library services. On August 5, 2020, the City issued the first series of Measure O Bonds at a premium of $23.1 million; $3.1 million over their par value. A second (and final) series of Measure O Bonds for $30 million is anticipated to be issued in August 2022.
(See the "Progress Tab" for additional information)
The Project is in the final design and permitting stage. In the next few months, we will request City Council’s approval of construction plans and specifications and authorization of staff to solicit competitive bids from the list of prequalified contractors for both Projects. When the plans and specifications are approved, we will inform the list of prequalified contractors of the availability of the approved plans and specifications in addition to the bid opening date and time.
March 23, 2023 - Informational Memo - This memo has been prepared for The City Council to provide the latest updated information on the progress of The Measure O Projects including budgetary status, funding allocations, up-to-date progress and tentative schedules.
February 8, 2023 - The Silicon Valley Clean Energy Authority Board of Directors Meeting was held on February 8, 2023. Approval of the $2,092,248. Funding Allocation for Community Electrification Engagement and Demonstration Programs was Item 1f on the Consent Calendar. All items on the Consent Calendar, including item 1f, were approved.
January 23, 2023 - The $4,718,450 in grant funds awarded to the City (see below) by the State Library’s Building Forward Grant Program has created capacity within the Project''s budget for use of available City funds previously dedicated to cover infrastructure improvement costs. The available Measure O funds can be used to cover costs of other much-needed improvements that were originally approved in the scope of work, but later omitted due to budget constraints. As a result, additional architectural design services are needed. Jayson Architecture, the Project's architect, provided a proposal to the City in the amount $133,976. for the additional services required. A recommendation was presented to the City Council to amend the Consultant Services Agreement with Jayson Architecture to add the additional $133,976 funds required for these additional services. The City Council authorized the City Manager to amend the Jayson Arcitect Agreement, and a Resolution was adopted on January 23, 2023.
November 4, 2022 - City of Campbell Appication for Silicon Valley Clean Energy Community Decarbonization Demonstration Grant for The Campbell Library Rennovation Project in the amount of $500,000. This grant, if awarded, will enable the Library Rennonvation Project to include full electrification, eliminating dependency on fossil fuel for .... Beyond the environmental benefit, the electrification of this significant community library building will demonstrate to the public, the benefits of electrification technology.
August 22, 2022 - Staff is reviewing the RFQs received for the Construction Management and Inspection Services for both projects.
July 25, 2022 - Public Works received, reviewed and evaluated prequalification proposals from the prospective contractors for the Police Operations Building Project. Seven contractors were prequalified to bid.
July 5, 2022, - The City Council adopted two Resolutions authorizing the issuance of a Request for Qualifications (RFQ) for Construction Management and Inspection Services and Authorizing the City Manager to Award Consultant Service Agreements for both projects. Resolution 12861 was adopted for the Library Renovation Project, and Resolution 12863 was adopted for the Police Operations Building Project. The RFQs were advertised on The City's website and on QuestCDN.com. The closing date for the RFQs is August 22, 2022.
June 17, 2022 - Public Works received, reviewed and evaluated the prequalification proposals from the prospective contractors for the Library Renovation Project. Four contractors were prequalified to bid.
In May and June, 2022 respectively, Requests for Prequalifications for general contractors for The Library Renovation and the new Police Operations Building were advertised on the City's website and QuestCDN.com.
March 21, 2022 - Public Works applied for a California State Library Infrastructure Grant for the Campbell Library Renovations project. The goal of the State Grant is to help library facilities throughout California address fire safety and critical maintenance projects. In July 2022, the State asked for additional information from all applicants on specific major outputs of the fire and safety improvements, and critical maintenance to better evaluate the grant applications. On July 29, 2022, the City provided the required information including a revised grant amount of $4,718,450. Notification (Intent to Award) was received from California State Library on September 12, 2022 notifying the City that a grant will be awarded for the Library Rennovation Project in the amount of $4,718.450. A Resolution was adobted by The City Council on December 6, 2022 authorizing The City to accept the grant funds.
At the August 17, 2021 Council Meeting, the City Council approved the Mitigated Negative Declaration for the Measure O Improvement Project. The City of Campbell provided a 20-day public review period of the Mitigated Negative Declaration pursuant to CEQA guidelines. The 20-day public review period occurred from July 21, 2021 to August 10, 2021. The Notice of Intent (NOI), the draft Mitigated Negative Declaration (MND), the Initial Study (IS), and the Notice of Determination (NOD) are all available at the links below.
Notice of Intent (NOI)
Mitigated Negative Declaration
Notice of Determination
Please contact Public Works Engineering at (408) 866-2150 or Publicworks@campbellca.gov with any questions.
Police Department and Campbell Library programs and space needs were identified as high priorities for the City. The project to address these needs are referred to as the Civic Center Improvements.
On July 17, 2018, the City Council authorized a $50M general obligation bond measure (Measure O) to be placed on the November 6, 2018 general elections ballot to fund the Civic Center Improvements (Council Resolutions No. 12344 & No. 12345, City Ordinance No. 2235.) Campbell voters approved the Measure O by 69.5%.
Primary goals of the Measure O program are to build a new police operations building with 9-1-1 dispatch and Emergency Operations Center (EOC) that would withstand natural disasters, and a safe, energy-efficient library that would meet earthquake and fire building codes.
The general scope of the Measure O - Civic Center Improvements were identified as priorities through the following Civic Center Master Plan efforts:
- Reviewing the existing Civic Center East Master Plan, Library Needs Study, Heritage Orchard Study and the Campbell & Historical Museum Strategic Plan;
- Performing a community needs assessment that includes an evaluation of both current and projected needs for Library and City Hall space;
- Developing a vision for the Civic Center complex;
- Adopting guiding principles for the development;
- Performing an analysis of relocating the existing Historical Museum or constructing an annex within or adjacent to a new library building that could provide additional exhibit space and display space for agriculture artifacts;
- Assessing the parking implications of larger buildings and evaluating the feasibility of providing additional parking & including a parking structure – for the Civic Center complex;
- Addressing needs for replacing the City’s EOC as part of a new library or other component of the Civic Center complex;
- Holding at least one Community Meeting and make presentations and solicit input from Library and Museum stakeholders, including the Civic Improvement Commission and Historic Preservation Board;
- Providing two or more Civic Center complex conceptual layouts with accompanying development strategies;
- Formulating a recommendation with an associated development (phasing) plan and an associated financing plan which would identify the costs of each development phase; and Identifying revenue options for funding the construction associated with this Master Plan.
Measure O - Civic Center Improvements:
- Since 2013, City Staff, Consultants and a Project Core Team have identified desired facilities and program scenarios in the Civic Center Complex and conducted building structural assessments. The Campbell Police Department and Campbell Library were identified as the highest priority for improvement.
- November 6, 2018 General Election - The City of Campbell voters passed Measure O, a $50 million dollar General Obligation Bond Measure to fund the construction of a new Police Department Annex and the renovation of the existing Campbell Library Building. Measure O was approve by the voters by 69.5%
- August 14, 2019 -, The lead project manager was hired to oversee the project throughout its completion.
- At the November 19, 2019 Council Meeting, Council received a project update. At the same meeting, Council voted on keeping the library program at the current Campbell Library location; 77 Harrison Avenue. Council also approved the formation of an ad-hoc Request For Proposals (RFP) Subcommittee to assist City staff refine the proposals for police and library building design services.
- February 4, 2020 - Council approved two separate Request for Proposals (RFPs) for design services consultants for the New Police Operations Building and Campbell Library Improvements. The RFPs were prepared with input from the RFP Subcommittee and were advertised on February 6, 2020.
- May 19, 2020, - Council approved to award the design services contracts to LPA, Inc. for the New Police Operations Building and Jayson Architecture for the Campbell Library Improvements.
- May 19, 2020 - Council authorized Staff to issue a RFP for an Environmental Services Consultant.
- July 7, 2020 - A kick-off meeting with the design architects and City Council was held. Council was presented with updates and additional information in preparation for the meeting.
- November 19, 2020 - Council voted on keeping the new library at the current library location. Council also approved forming an ad-hoc Request for Proposals (RFP) Subcommittee to assist City staff refine the Project's building designs.
- November 3, 2020 - The City contracted with David J. Powers & Assoc. as the environmental consultant to assist with the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) process and determination. Council approved the mitigated Negative Declaration in August 2021.
- Construction Start - Spring 2023
- Bid and Award Construction Projects - Spring 2023
- Complete Construction Documents - Fall 2022
- Complete Schematic and Design Development Documents - Summer 2021
- Complete Concept Designs and Obtain Necessary Approvals - Early 2021
- Hire an Environmental Consultant for the CEQA Process - Winter 2020
- Confirm Program and Space Needs - Fall 2020
- Hire Design Consultants - May 2020
Informational Memo - Prepared for the Study Session with City Council and Staff scheduled for April 4, 2023.
Silicon Valley Clean Energy Community Resilience Program Allocation of $237,566. for the Police Operations Building Project.
Silicon Valley Clean Energy Authority Board of Directors Meeting - Item 1f. Approval of $2,092.248 in Funding Allocation for Coomunity Electrification Engagement and Desmonstration Programs. - February 8, 2023
Council Report - Resolution Authorizing an Amendment to the Jayson Architecture Contract for Additional Design and Engeering Services for the Library Renovations Project. - January 23, 2023
Council Report - Resolution Authorizing Acceptance of the California State Library Gant for $4,718,450. - December 6, 2022
Grant Application - Silicon Valley Clean Energy Community Decarbonization Demonstration Grant to The City of Campbell for $500,000. for the Library Renovation Project, - November 4, 2022
Notification of Confirmation of Award - California State Library Grant to The City of Campbell for $4,718,450. for the Library Renovation Project. - October 19, 2022
Notification of Intent to Award - California State Library Grant to The City of Campbell for $4,718,450. for the Library Renovation Project.- September 12, 2022
Council Report - Council Report and Resolution Authorizing the Issuance of a Request for Qualifications for Construction Management and Inspection Services for the Campbell Police Operations Projecy Renovations Project -July 5, 2022
Council Report - Council Report and Resolution Authorizing the Issuance of a Request for Qualifications for Construction Management and Inspection Services for the Campbell Library Renovations Project -July 5, 2022
Information Memo - January 10, 2022
Council Report - Resolution for the Authorization to Amend the Consultant Services Agreement with LPA for The Police Department Building Design - October 19, 2021
Study Session - September 21, 2021
Council Report - Resolution Authorizing Project Delivery Method
Notice of Determination - Notice filed by the City confirming it determines to carry out the Measure O Project which is subject to the requirements of CEQA (Guidelines, § 15373) - August 20, 2021
Initial Study - Study evaluating the environmental impacts that may result from the project implementation - July 21, 2021
Notice of Intent (NOI) - Notice of Intent to Adopt a Mitigated Negative Declaration - July 21, 2021
Mitigated Negative Declaration - Mitigation measures to reduce any environmental impacts the Project may have - July 21, 2021
Memorandum - Informational Update from the Public Works Director - July 2, 2021
Council Report - Campbell Police Operations Building Schematic Design - May 4, 2021
Memorandum - Correspondence from Councilwoman Susan M. Landry - May 4, 2021
Council Report - Campbell Library Renovation Schematic Design - April 6, 2021
Memorandum - Progress Update from the Director of Public Works - March 22, 2021
Council Report - Campbell Police Operations Building Conceptual Design Alternatives - February 2, 2021
Council Report - Special Meeting to Review Information/Updates on the Measure O Project - January 11, 2021
Council Report - Progress Update on the Measure O Project - December 1, 2020
Council Report - 2020 Measure O Bond Sale Post Issuance Summary - September 15, 2020
Council Report - Environmental Services Request for Proposal - August 18, 2020
Council Report - Authorizing the Issuance and Sale of General Obligation Bonds - July 21, 2020
Council Report - Resolution Authorizing an Ad Valorem Tax Levy - July 21, 2020
Council Report - Project Kickoff Meetings and Updates - July 7, 2020
Council Report - Request for Proposals for Environmental Services - May 19, 2020
Council Report - Contract Award to Jayson Architecture Agenda Report - May 19, 2020
Council Report - Contract Award to LPA, Inc. Agenda Report - May 19, 2020
Memorandum - Correspondence from Campbell Police Officers Association - May 19, 2020
Council Report - Measure O Design Request For Proposals Agenda Report - February 4, 2020
Council Report - Measure O Update - November 19, 2019
Council Report - January 15, 2019
Council Report - July 17, 2018
Approved Resolution 12345 - July 17, 2018
Council Report – June 19, 2018
Council Report – June 5, 2018
Council Report – May 1, 2018
Council Report – April 17, 2018
Council Report – November 21, 2017
Study Session – October 17, 2017
Study Session – September 5, 2017
Information Memo – August 18, 2017
City Hall Immediate Occupancy Seismic Evaluation - August 2017
Library Immediate Occupancy Seismic Evaluation - August 2017
Council Report – July 19, 2016
Study Session – June 7, 2016
Study Session – March 12, 2016
Civic Center Master Plan Update – December 23, 2015
Tier 1 Seismic Evaluation City Hall - November 12, 2015
Tier 1 Seismic Evaluation Library - May 13, 2015
Study Session – March 25, 2015
Video of City Council Study Session – March 25, 2015
Study Session – February 3, 2015
Council Report – October 21, 2014
Council Report – July 1, 2014
Study Session – May 6, 2014
Council Report – January 21, 2014
Council Report – December 3, 2013
Council Report – September 17, 2013