- Living & Visiting
- Public Art & Plaques
- Commemorative Plaques
Below you can find the commemorative plaques located throughout the City of Campbell. Check out the printable version of the commemorative plaque locations or explore the photo gallery.
Jack Fischer Park
John D. Morgan Park
Edith Morley Park
Orchard City Green
Los Gatos Creek Trail
|"Site of J.C. Ainsley Packing Company, Established 1888. A pioneer industrialist and public benefactor." (View Photo)||East end of downtown on Campbell Avenue||Ainsley Park Dedication Plaque, February 20, 1978|
|"Black Walnut Trees planted about 1885 by William A. Swope, son-in-law of Benjamin Campbell and Daughters Alda Swope Blaine, Ethel Swope Davis, and Lena Swope French." (View Photo)||East end of Campbell Avenue at Ainsley Park||Campbell Historical Location - Black Walnut Trees|
|"The Agricultural Heritage Plaques located throughout Historic Downtown Campbell were installed in 1992 as part of the Downtown Streetscape Project. The fruits and blossoms commemorating Campbell's agricultural heritage were selected as most representative of the community's orchard past from among dozens of agricultural products that were grown during the early years of Campbell's development." (View Photo)||At the end of the seat wall next to the walnut trees.||French Prune - Fruit and Blossom
Bartlett Pear - Fruit and Blossom
Blenheim Apricot - Fruit and Blossom
Payne Walnut - Fruit and Blossom
Jordanola Almond - Fruit and Blossom
Bing Cherry - Fruit and Blossom
|"This tree dedicated in memory of Judge John D. Blain, February 1966" (View Photo)||Corner of Campbell and Gilman Avenues at Campbell Park.||John D. Blaine was appointed justice of the peace in January 1927 and was married to Alda Swope, granddaughter of Campbell's founder, Benjamin Campbell. He served on both the high school and grammar school boards of trustees. He died in 1965 at the age of 91.|
| "This tree dedicated in memory of Judge John D. Blain, February 1966" (View Photo)
||Corner of Campbell and Gilman Avenues at Campbell Park.||The original tree, a Douglas Fir (Pseudotsuga menziesii) was planted in memory of Judge John D. Blaine in 1966. A storm in the spring of 2005 toppled the 40 year-old tree and a new Deodar Cedar (Cedrus deodora) was planted in its place.|
|"Campbell Water Company 1928 elevated steel tank and 1927 pump station. Site of original 1890's Campbell Water Company plant."
Campbell Historical Location (View Photo)
|On the rock next to the entrance of Hyde Park||November 2, 1892, Campbell's first utility was signed into existence. In 1918, George E. Hyde purchased all the stock.|
|"Hyde Park Dedicated April 26, 1995. A gift from San Jose Water Company to the City of Campbell.
City Council: Donald Burr, Mayor; Robert Dougherty, Vice Mayor; Barbara Conant, Jeanette Watson, Mark Wilkinson. Mark Ochenduszko,
City Manager, David Fox, Landscape Architect." (View Photo)
|Corner of Orchard City Drive and South First Street||Site of the original Campbell Water Company purchased in 1918 by George Hyde, later merging with San Jose Water Company in 1975.|
Jack Fischer Park
|"Jack Fischer Park Dedicated November 16, 1996. This park is named for Jacob (Jack) Fischer, principal of San Tomas School from 1953-1966 in honor of his love for children and his commitment to them." (View Photo)
||Jack Fischer Park||In April of 1995 the City of Campbell purchased these 4.1 acres of the San Tomas School site from Campbell Union School District to be used as a park. Originally owned by Ira Lovell, an early settler of the area and brother-in-law of town founder Benjamin Campbell, the property later passed to J. F. Pollard, one of the first prune orchardists in the area.
The Charles F. Miller family followed, selling the property to the school district in 1946. It then housed the San Tomas School until its closure in June of 1979. A portion of the site was also used by Quito Little League from 1968-1994.
|"The Reading Guidance Program of Campbell Union School District is warmly and respectfully dedicated to the memory of Jack C. Fischer, Principal of San Tomas Elementary School, 1953-1966. He loved, he cared, he gave to all children." (View Photo)|
|"Santa Clara Valley - The old and the new." A history of Campbell including "The First People Here, Mission and Rancho Eras, the Frontier Period, the Orchard Years, Incorporation and Beyond." (View Photo)
||Jack Fischer Park on the north side of the restroom building. (Plaque is damaged and in storage.)||Plaques designed by Eunice Ockerman and Nancy Stilger.|
John D. Morgan Park
|"Swimming in Circles, May 1999. Ceramic Tiles by Rolling Hills and Campbell Middle School Students in Collaboration with Glen Rogers and Bill Gould." (View Photo)
||Rincon Avenue playground at John D. Morgan Park||An element in the improvements made at John D. Morgan Park under the Park Improvement Implementation Plan adopted by the City Council in October, 1966.|
|"Dobie Jeffers, 1896-1979, Campbell Rotary Club" (View Photo)||On the side of the barbecue pit in Picnic Area A at John D. Morgan Park (Budd Avenue side).||George "Dobie" Jeffers owned Jeffers Men and Boys' Wear on Campbell Avenue. Mr. Jeffers served as the first patron of Eastern Star Chapter #553 formed in the 1940s.|
Edith Morley Park
|"Edith Morley was a dominant force in the development of parks and open space in the City of Campbell. She was a charter member of the city's Parks and Recreation Commission where she served from 1964 to 1988. Edith Morley Park was named in her honor." (View Photo)
||Along the entry path of Edith Morley Park (near the restrooms).||Edith Morley Park dedicated plaque May 12, 2001.|
|"Essence of Water" sculpture located at Edith Morley Park. (View Photo)||Fabricated steel wall sculpture with rust patina incorporating landscaping elements of trees and vines. (See Public Art locations for actual sculpture.)||Artist: Glen Rogers, Oakland, California|
|"Gordon Reynolds Inspiration Point, In Recognition and Memory of Gordon Reynolds for his dedication and commitment to open space and youth." May 2001 (View Photo)
||Overlooks the percolation ponds at Edith Morley Park||Gordon Reynolds' efforts were instrumental in the City setting aside four-acres of the former Winchester Drive-In site for a park. Mr. Reynolds passed away before the park was completed in 2001.|
Orchard City Green
|"The City of Campbell and staff dedicate these flags on the first anniversary of September 11, 2001, in honor of those who serve and sacrifice for our country." Jeanette Watson, Mayor; Daniel Furtado, Vice Mayor; Councilmembers Burr, Dean, Kennedy. Bernard M. Strojny, City Manager. September 11, 2002. (View Photo)
||At the base of the American flag pole in Orchard City Green||Orchard City Green Flag Memorial, dedicated September 11, 2002|
|"Agricultural Heritage Plaques were installed in 1992 as part of the Downtown Streetscape Project. The fruits and blossoms commemorating Campbell's agricultural heritage were selected as most representative of the community orchard past from among dozens of agricultural products that were grown during the early years of Campbell's development."
Individual fruit plaques located in the sidewalk along Campbell Avenue from Railway Avenue to Third Street, and Civic Center Drive between Ainsley Park and Central Avenue.
|"Agricultural Heritage Plaques were installed in 1992 as part of the Downtown Streetscape Project. The fruits and blossoms commemorating Campbell's agricultural heritage were selected as most representative of the community orchard past from among dozens of agricultural products that were grown during the early years of Campbell's development." (View Photo)
|"Agricultural Heritage Plaques were installed in 1992 as part of the Downtown Streetscape Project. The fruits and blossoms commemorating Campbell's agricultural heritage were selected as most representative of the community orchard past from among dozens of agricultural products that were grown during the early years of Campbell's development." (View Photo)|
|"This land dedicated to the City of Campbell for park purposes in memory of John M. Sobrato, 8-16-64." (View Photo)
||On the seat wall at Virginia Park.||Sobrato Development Company has played a dynamic role in the emergence and growth of Silicon Valley beginning in 1953.|
|"City of Campbell, Campbell Community Center, Dedicated September 21, 1985." (View Photo)||In the brick pedestal in front of the entry to Building C.||The city purchased the former Campbell High School site from Campbell Union High School District in 1980 and turned it into the Campbell Community Center.|
|"In Memory of Normal Paul, Council Member 1972-1984" (View Photo)||Normal Paul served as a council member from 1972-1984.|
|"Slavonic Tree Lipa Planted by Jugoslav Napredak Club and Slavonic Alliance, District 6. February 22, 1938" (View Photo)||In the cement slab behind Building F (banquet hall)|
|"1900-1912 - To the Memory of James Frederick Smith. This pine is dedicated by the Alumni of Campbell Union High School. MCMXIII" (View Photo)||At the base of the pine tree between Buildings A, B, and C at the Community Center.||J. Fred Smith was Campbell High School's founding principal opening its doors on September 14, 1900, with 35 students.|
|"This redwood replanted May 11, 1996 from tree planted by President Teddy Roosevelt May 11, 1903, on site of original Campbell Union High School. Dedicated May 11, 1981 - Kiwanis Club of Campbell" (View Photo)||Corner of Campbell Avenue and Winchester Boulevard||Then President Theodore Roosevelt visited the City of Campbell on May 11, 1903, and planted a Sequoia sempervirens (Coast Redwood). The original tree was removed in 1964 to allow for widening of Winchester Boulevard. A burl from the original tree was planted on May 11, 1966, on the high school grounds.|
|"Campbell Union High School initial construction 1936-1938 by firm of W. H. Weeks. Only district school until 1956. Closed 1980." (View Photo)||Base of flagpole on Campbell Avenue||Campbell Union High School Dedication|
|"Pause Pray for Peace VFW Aux. No. 6305, March 19, 1953" (View Photo)||Not on display. (In Building Maintenance Shop at Campbell Community Center)||Was at the base of the Redwood tree in front of Building Q. Was removed during theater renovation in 2003.|
|"Constructed by Federal Works Agency, Work Projects Administration and the Campbell Union High School District, 1939-1940" (View Photo)||On the north side of the bleachers at the Community Center track.||Site of a new Campbell High School completed in 1936 through a project financed jointly by the district and the P. W. A.|
|"Campbell Community Center Improvements, December 2003." (View Photo)||On the wall of the Snack Shop / Restroom Building next to the track at the Community Center.||Community Center Field Improvements dedication plaque.|
|"City of Campbell, Ainsley House and Carriage House. Dedicated September 25, 1994." (View Photo)||Outside the garden room on the wall leading to the back garden.||The Ainsley House and Carriage House were formerly located at the northeast corner of Hamilton and Bascom Avenues. Mr. Ainsley's granddaughters, Geraldine Hicks and Georgene Bowen, donated the buildings to the city. They were moved to the current site at Orchard City Green on November 18, 1990.|
|"Gardens are to love, Flowers are to share. Dorothy Ainsley Lloyd" (View Photo)||Ainsley House Gardens||Dorothy Ainsley Lloyd was the daughter of J. C. and Alcinda Ainsley and the mother of Geraldine Hicks and Georgene Bowen who donated the Ainsley House to the city. Flowers from the Ainsley Garden, cared for by volunteers, are cut for display in the Ainsley House.|
|Bing Cherry (View Photo)||
||Agricultural Heritage Plaques were installed in 1992 as part of the Downtown Streetscape Project. The fruits and blossoms commemorating Campbell's agricultural heritage were selected as most representative of the community orchard past from among dozens of agricultural products that were grown during the early years of Campbell's development.|
|Jordanola Almond (View Photo)||
|Bartlett Pear (View Photo)||
|French Prune (View Photo)||
|Blenheim Apricot (View Photo)||
|Payne Walnut (View Photo)||Corner of Central / Civic Center Drive
South side of Civic Center Drive at Ainsley Park
|"Second Street Parking Garage, Dedicated June 18, 2002. Campbell City Council: Jeanette Watson, Mayor; Daniel E. Furtado, Vice Mayor; Donald R. Burr, Matthew T. Dean, Jane P. Kennedy. Bernard M. Strojny, City Manager, Robert Kass, Public Works Director. Gordon H. Chong and Partners, Architect; West Bay Builders, Contractor; Tom Askman and Leanne Lake, Artists" (View Photo)||On the south side of the building at the base of the steps to the second story.||Funded by the Campbell Redevelopment Agency to provide free parking for visitors and patrons to a revitalized Downtown Campbell.|
|"South Pacific Coast Railroad Incorporated March 29, 1876, and Financed by Comstock Lode Money, its northern terminus was San Francisco Ferry Building.
Passengers were transported by ferry to Alameda where they boarded the cars for their 77.6 mile rail ride to Santa Cruz. In 1886, Benjamin Campbell gave this station site to the railroad, and on July 1, 1887, the line was leased to Southern Pacific Railroad. Dedicated June 14, 1980. Mountain Charlie Chapter No. 1350, E. Clampus Vitus." (View Photo)
|South side of ease end of Campbell Avenue next to the railroad tracks.|
|"In Memory of Lilian R. Smith Voge, 1881-1946, Campbell Librarian from 1926-1946" (View Photo)||Landscaping at the library, corner of Harrison Avenue and Civic Center Drive||Lilian Smith Voge served as the Campbell Librarian from 1926 to 1946.|
Los Gatos Creek Trail
|"City of Campbell, Los Gatos Creek Trail, completed and dedication 1990. City Council: John Ashworth, Mayor; Michael Kotowski, Vice Mayor; Donald R. Burr, Barbara Conant, Jeanette Watson. Kevin Duggan, City Manager" (View Photo)||Next to the kiosk at the Los Gatos Creek Trail as it goes through Campbell Park.||This nine-mile trail for pedestrians, hikers, bicyclists, and nature lovers extends from San Jose through Campbell to Los Gatos and the Lexington Reservoir Dam.|
|"In recognition of David Schrader for planting hundreds of trees along the Los Gatos Creek Trail, 1991" (View Photo)||Los Gatos Creek Trail||Mr. Schrader was a frequent user of the Los Gatos Creek Trail and thought it needed more trees. Using his own funds and enlisting help from friends, he planted, watered, and maintained 450 Oak, Sycamore, and Bay trees until his death in 1993.|
|"City of Campbell Historical Museum, Dedicated November 12, 1983. City Council: Dean Chamberlin, Mayor; Norman Paul, Vice Mayor; John Ashworth, Ralph Doetsch, William Podgorsek. Edward Schilling, City Manager. Warren Heid, Architect. Associated Builders, Inc., General Contractor" (View Photo)||On the rock located to the right of the entrance to the Museum||Once the original fire station, the museum moved into the building in 1983 and is designated as a local historic point of interest.|
|"The Campbell Volunteer Fire Department officially began in 1912. Keeping track of ladders was a problem and the need for a fire station became apparent. An ad placed in the newspaper urged "all parties to leave ladders belonging to fire department in their places." An addendum later stated "except in case of fire." The first Campbell volunteer fire station in 1913 was located on the east side of Campbell Avenue. Equipment was kept in the front shed.
"Campbell grew rapidly and the expanding fire department needed a larger station. In 1951, this fire station was built here at 51 north Central Avenue. This became the first building owned by the newly incorporated City of Campbell. At one time the building served as city hall and housed the fire department, police department, and city offices. In 1952, volunteer Chief Jack Scott was named as the City of Campbell's first fire chief.
"This building was used as the main Campbell fire station for 30 years. Water hoses hung from the tower to dry after each use to prevent mildew. Today water hoses are made of nylon material that resists mildew. The fire engines were kept in the main gallery with the garage doors in the back.
"When the Union Avenue fire station was built in 1982, this building was no longer needed. The building was renovated so that the firefighters' living quarters were converted to offices and the garage doors were sealed, but the tower was kept as it was then. In 1983, the Campbell Historical Museum moved into the building. Now the building is designated as a local historic point of interest." (View Photo)
|Fishin' with Roger 2004 Cork Marcheschi February, 2004" (View Photo)||At the reflection ponds in front of the Heritage Theatre||Roger was Artist Cork Marcheschi's grandfather. Time spent with him was magical. The color, light, and fantasy of this sculpture comes close to expressing the magic times they had together.|
|Blue Star Memorial By-Way Marker (View Photo)||Intersection of Campbell Avenue and Civic Center Drive in the landscaping (next to Legacy Bank). Moved to this location in 1989 from what is now Orchard City Green.||On behalf of the Campbell Garden Club presented by member Minnie Snyder in 1983.|
|"Blue Star Memorial Dedicated to the Armed Services, March 7, 1968" (View Photo)||Hamilton Avenue median just west of Winchester Blvd.||Sponsored by Campbell Garden Club|
|"Blue Star Memorial Dedicated to the Armed Services, March 7, 1968" (View Photo)|
|El Camino Real Bell Marker||On Winchester Boulevard north of Campbell Avenue near the bus stop.||Donation from the California Federation of Women's Clubs (Country Women's Club of Campbell) marking the original El Camino Real in celebration of the state's sesquicentennial anniversary.|