Run for Office
Who can run for Elective Office?
Any member of the public who meets the requirements below may run for public office in the City of Campbell. Candidates must:
- Be at least eighteen years of age or older
- Be a citizen of the United States and a resident of the State of California
- Be a registered voter and a resident within the district the candidate seeks to represent. Address and Voter registration will be verified before the issuance of nomination papers.
Candidates must obtain and complete the official nomination documents that are issued by the City Clerk's Office. This is done during the official nomination period (July 18, 2022 - August 12, 2022). Please contact the City Clerk's Office to schedule an appointment to review and pickup the official candidate forms.
A candidate should be prepared to provide their name and residential address for validation of current voter registration and eligibility status.
Each candidate has the option of purchasing a Candidate Statement for $300. A Candidate Statement is published in the Sample Ballot materials and mailed to all registered voters.
Getting Started Early
This information is provided to assist candidates in understanding the requirements necessary to run for municipal office. This information is provided as a guide and should not substitute for legal, accounting, or other professional services. Official forms are available only from the City Clerk's Office.
- Early in the filing period, contact the City Clerk's Office to schedule an appointment to review and pickup the official candidate forms.
- Review the Fair Political Practices Commission (FPPC) Campaign website at www.fppc.ca.gov.
- File FPPC Form 501 Candidate Intention Statement with the City Clerk before receiving contributions or spending your own funds.
- Open a bank account if you plan to receive contributions from others or you plan to expend personal funds totaling $2,000 or more. All money used for campaign purposes, including the candidate's personal funds, must be deposited in the campaign bank account prior to the expenditure.
- File FPPC Form 410 State of Organization with the Secretary of State within 10 days of receiving $2,000 in contributions. File a copy of Form 410 with the City Clerk's Office.
City Hall - Upper Level
70 N. First St.
Campbell, CA 95008
Map and Directions
Ph: (408) 866-2117
Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.