Encroachment Permits

Right-of-Way Protection

Protecting the public right-of-way during construction is one of the primary responsibilities of the Public Works Department. All work performed in the public right-of-way requires an Encroachment Permit of one of the following types:

  1. Utility Work - this includes all utility companies (PG&E, AT&T, San Jose Water, West Valley Sanitation District, Comcast, Fiber, etc), as well as private contractors hired by property owners to do the trenching or boring for the placement of these facilities.
  2. R-1 Residential - minor frontage work for existing single family home, must be home owner occupied
  3. Storage Container (pod) - temporary placement of a pod in the street to facilitate the move-in / move-out of a resident
  4. Land Development - construction of frontage improvements required by a Building or Planning permit.  Additional information can be found on the Public Works Land Development web page.
  5. Miscellaneous Work - temporary use of the right-of-way for activities not listed above
  6. Small Cell - for small cell wireless facilities in the right-of-way, please visit the Small Cell web page for permitting requirements. 

 Examples of work requiring an Encroachment Permit include:

  • Installation of utility mains and services (water, sewer, storm, gas, electric, telecommunications, etc.)
  • Installation of street trees, landscaping in the park strip
  • Construction of sidewalks, curbs, gutters, and driveway approaches
  • Installation of street lights, traffic signals
  • Traffic lane and/or sidewalk closures (some routine maintenance activities exempted)
  • Potholing
  • Soil Borings / Monitoring Wells
  • Crane setup

Construction Moratoriums and Restrictions

During the peak shopping season between Thanksgiving and Christmas, the City of Campbell enforces a moratorium on non-emergency street construction in the vicinity of Downtown Campbell.

A number of City sponsored / recognized events occur throughout the year in Downtown Campbell, and construction hours may be limited leading up to those events.  Most events take place on the weekend, so any work in the public right-of-way should be buttoned up on the Friday before said event.  Contact Public Works Inspection at (408) 866-2150 regarding any upcoming working hour restrictions.

The City also enforces a five year moratorium on cutting trenches into newly resurfaced streets.  For more information regarding the City's Policy on Street Cut Moratorium, please visit the City's Pavement Maintenance Program webpage.

Encroachment Permit Information

Encroachment Permits typically require that contractors procure and maintain for the duration of the contract insurance against claims for injuries to persons or damages to property which may arise from or in connection with the performance of the work by the contractor, his agents, representatives, employees, or subcontractors. Insurance meeting the City’s minimum insurance requirements must be in place prior to issuance of an Encroachment Permit.

Encroachment Permits also require a cash deposit or bonds to ensure that the work done in the public right-of-way is completed in accordance with the City's requirements and the permit that has been issued.

Please note that all Encroachment Permits must be on the job site at all times.

For specific information and instructions on how to apply, please select the applicable Encroachment Permit from the list below: 

  1. Utility Work
  2. R-1 Residential
  3. Storage Container (pod)
  4. Street Improvements (Land Development)
  5. Miscellaneous Work

Additional Information

If you have additional questions regarding whether or not your project requires an encroachment permit, or what type of permit is applicable, please contact the Public Works Department at (408) 866-2150 or via email at PublicWorks@campbellca.gov

Contact Us

  1. Public Works

    70 North First Street
    City Hall - Upper Level
    Campbell, CA 95008

    Phone (408) 866-2150


    Monday - Friday
    8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.


    290 Dillon Avenue
    Campbell, CA 95008

    Phone (408) 866-2145


    Monday - Thursday
    7:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
    7:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.